Monday 28 September 2015

Kelly’s big beach adventure

rissers heart


On Saturday, I was torn between going to the Etsy Made in Canada craft show in Halifax, or doing the beach tour that I’ve been wanting to do for a while. In the end, the sunshine and blue skies said one thing – go to the beach! So I did. I made my lunch, packed my atlas, extra shoes, and cooler in the car, recharged my camera battery and iPhone, and checked Google maps to see how far my great adventure was going to take me. Turns out, I was going to be traveling a whopping 33.1 kilometers from home. Hmmmmm…. so it was a mini adventure. And every good adventure starts with a ferry ride :-)


ferry 1


First stop – Risser’s Beach. Once I finally figured out where to park, I took a walk up the beach and along the boardwalk. I don’t know what it is about boardwalks, but I love them….

boardwalk 1


boardwalk 8

boardwalk 7

 

boardwalk 2      

And walking on the beach…

rissers 1 

 

rissers 2


rissers 3 


rissers 4 


rissers post


Then I headed over to Cherry Hill Beach. I timed it so I would get there at low tide. The vast expanse of sand is incredible.


ch lunch view


ch rocks

ch 1


It was a long walk from one end of the beach to the other and back, but it was so nice to be outside enjoying the gorgeous weather and watching the waves.


ch 2


ch 3

 

ch 6


 

ch 8


ch 9 

On my way back home, I made a quick stop at Green Bay Beach. We had a great time here in 2010 with a bunch of dogs and a few humans :-) From 2010…


carol dogs 3


And from 2015…

 

green bay 1


gb 2


Right around here is where the ocean water meets the bay water, and all of a sudden the water is warmer.


gb 3


Thought this sign was cute :-) Especially because when we were here in 2010, Squirt pooped in the ocean!



gb poop 

One last stop before getting on the ferry – the LaHave Bakery. Yum!


bakery


And back across the river on the ferry – almost home!


bakery


There are a LOT more beaches to explore. Maybe my next beach adventure will take me more than 33.1kms from home ;-)


kb logo 1a

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Anne it was a great day :-) I also stopped in at some small shops and did my part to support the local economy :-)

      Kelly

      Delete
  2. So pretty and refreshing! Looks like a fun and relaxing kind of day -- my kind of day! Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Joanne @ Sea Glass Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty and refreshing! Looks like a fun and relaxing kind of day -- my kind of day! Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Joanne @ Sea Glass Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at beach photos. The water is so calming and it just takes me away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking at beach photos. The water is so calming and it just takes me away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara keeps telling me about these marvellous South Shore Beaches. Your photos are just stunning. You have a great "eye". I am quite nutty for boardwalks too. Didn't you take a dog along with you ? I couldn't bear to go walking without a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love boardwalks too, so definitely had to walk this one :-) It was easier doing this day trip without any dogs - but don't worry, they get lots of beach time :-) There are so many great beaches around here. I could go to at least 10 different beaches in one day. That's actually my plan - meant to do it in the fall, but just never had the time.

      Delete