Friday 25 September 2015

Sewing fun at The Lunenburg Makery

The Lunenburg Makery is a place for learning, making, and gathering around craft. We are a multi-purpose craft space including sewing facilities, a library and reading area, a retail space and studios. We offer workshops and courses as well as drop-in projects, sew-by-the-hour, evening craft circles, and studio space.

sewing fun


The Lunenburg Makery is one of my favourite places in Lunenburg. It’s a great shop that sells fabrics and yarns and crafting kits and does clothing alterations and hosts workshops that teach you how to make all sorts of crafty things. They also offer sewing lessons, and if you buy an annual membership for $65, you can use all their sewing equipment for free!

A while back, I blogged about the stool Brian and I recovered in Summer Fun fabric from Minted.

stool


I LOVE this fabric, and after covering the stool, there was still enough fabric to make a cushion cover. Except I don’t know how to make a cushion cover, and I have absolutely no sewing supplies. So I took a sewing lesson with Rita at the Makery. She’s a great teacher – very knowledgeable, encouraging, and gets you to do rather than watch.

Rita had a great idea – she suggested that I used a plain fabric on the back of the cushion cover, and that way I would probably be able to get two cushion covers out of my piece of fabric. I came up with the idea of using two different colours on the back, and I chose turquoise and coral.

backing fabrics


coral


There were a few boo-boos along the way, but after a couple of hours of hours of sewing and lots of laughs with Rita, I finished my very first cushion cover :-)


front 1


back 1


Yesterday, I went back to make cushion cover #2. This time I was able to do most of the work on my own. I’d already cut all the pieces with Rita’s help at my lesson,  so it was pretty much just a matter of sewing hems on the backing pieces and then sewing everything together. Except nothing with me is ever simple ;-) I was pretty happy with the hems on the backing pieces that I sewed all by myself. But when I went to pin them onto the front piece of fabric, they were too small. I had sewn the herms on the scrap pieces of backing fabric. Oops! Oh well, extra practice :-) Once I got the right pieces done, things went smoothly and pretty soon I had cushion #2 all done :-)


cushion 2b

cushion 2a        

I love my new cushions! Thank you Rita at The Lunenburg Makery, and thank you once again to Minted for providing me with the beautiful fabric :-)

Happy weekend!

kb logo 1a

2 comments:

  1. I love the fabric! Also, your first time sewing pillows turned out well. I love sewing pillows because they're such an easy way to change up the look of a room, although I tend to use zippers in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison :-) Rita recommended doing the envelope-style covers for my first attempt at making cushion covers. I'll need to get a bit more experience before I move on to zippers :-) I have a feeling we're going to end up with a LOT of cushions in our house!

      Kelly

      Delete