Tuesday 12 September 2017

I’m floored

Choosing the right flooring is hard. It’s not like choosing a paint colour, where it’s a relatively easy and inexpensive fix if you choose the wrong colour (trust me on this, it’s happened to me more than once!) Once flooring goes down, it’s down for good. So no screw-ups allowed – which is making this already-hard decision even harder!

We have to go with an engineered hardwood because of the radiant in-floor heating. I thought I’d found what I wanted – Preverco’s hard maple in Chamonix. Except when I tried out the sample in the house, it looked too dark.



Image result for preverco hard maple chamonix


Then I tried out a sample of Beaulieu’s European white oak in Chardonnay.



Except this is what was in the box of samples planks. Most of the planks were like the middle one, which I think looks kinda weird – too stripey.



beaulieu chardonnay


So looks like it’s back to the drawing board for the hardwood. We need a wood that’ll stand up to the dogs, (likely either wire brushed or distressed), matte finish, wide plank, not too expensive… the hardwood search continues.

I can’t tell you how many tile sample boards I’ve lugged back and forth. At one point, I had about 20 of them in the back of the car. And how many winners were there? Well, a few actually – till I decided that they were too grey. Now I’m leaning towards tiles that are more on the brown side. These are a couple that could work in the entry and closet and under the fireplace– Ceragres Wood 2 and Ceratec Biarritz.

Ceragres - Wood 2


Ceragres - Wood 2


Cognac

Ceratec - Biarritz


Cognac

Ceratec - Biarritz


And that doesn’t even touch on all the tile decisions still to be made for the bathrooms. UGH! Making decisions is definitely NOT my forté!


KB sig

2 comments:

  1. I had a tough time with flooring choices as well. It seems like such a permanent decision! Love the Ceragres - Wood 2...the other one seems quite "busy"..it's unique and fun, but I would probably tire of it over time. But it's YOUR choice and you have to go with what you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardwood, tiles, and countertops are the toughest decisions to make because they're so permanent. The Biarritz tiles come in both plain and patterned and three different sizes - my idea is to do mostly plain with some patterned tiles here and there :-)

      Delete