Monday 5 February 2018

Let there be light

It may take me forever to choose tiles and hardwood and paint colours, but damn I’m good at making decisions about lights! A few trips to HomeSense and a couple of lights that made the move with us, and let there be light in our house :-)

I bought this star light years ago and love it so much that I had to bring it with us when we left Ottawa. It’s now in the guest bedroom of our house. Not sure how low to hang it, so the chain is a bit funky.


star light off     star light on


Our previous rental house had a pretty ugly pendant light in the front entry. I’d had my eye on a cool geometric pendant light at Costco for the longest time, so I bought it and replaced the ugly one with it. (It doesn’t seem to be available at Costco anymore, but I came across is on the Structube web site.) Seeing as I bought it myself, I didn’t feel bad taking it down and moving it up to our house when we moved out of the rental. Now it’s hanging in the front entry of our house, and I absolutely love it!


entry light off   entry light on

The rest of the light fixtures are from HomeSense. Their lighting options are really quite good, and I don’t know if you’d be able to find similar fixtures for the great prices. I think this one was about $30 – although I made a small mistake when I bought it and didn’t realize that it’s actually a wall sconce. Ooops! Brian re-jigged it to turn it into a ceiling fixture. I love that it looks like a fishing float and echoes the big round window in the upstairs bathroom.


bathroom up off   bathroom up on


This little guy is in the closet in the front entry. I was debating another geometric fixture to echo the black one, but I really like the simplicity of this one. Also, it was a great deal at $30 :-)


closet light off   closet light on


And finally, these two fixtures are in the downstairs bathroom. I love the combination of white and wood. And check out the amazing shadows on the ceiling.


bathroom down off   bathroom down on


All of these fixtures have LED Edison bulbs from the Dollar Store. Well, they actually cost $4.00 each, but that’s still a pretty good deal. The light from them is nice and warm and bright, but without being too bright.

The kitchen has a bunch of LED pot lights on the work side, and we’re going to make a glass insulator chandelier like this one on the dining side. Thanks Gilles & Melissa for the inspiration :-)



glass insulator light fixture 1


The only lights I still need to decide on are large pendants what will hang from the ceiling beams. I’m thinking something simple and light, like these string lights.



string lights hbz-pinterst-beach-decor-09

Source


These fixtures are definitely lighting up my life :-)


KB sig

2 comments:

  1. Your string light inspiration photo for your beams, Structube used to have those lights and sometimes on sale. Also I've seen them at Home Sense in Halifax numerous times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Marsha :-) I just checked out the Structube web site, and they have the string pendant light in two different sizes :-)

    ReplyDelete